Monday, October 3, 2011

Say "Baaa"

Very Relaxed day today…It’s Sunday!!!We traveled to Lajwatek for church this morning and words cannot express how incredible it was. The church service was 3 hours long and we could have easily kept going. We started with some expressive worship led by the children’s choir. They are an example of true authentic worship. Next came the devotion time with Greg, McKinley, and Aaron (not Tally) Leading 10 minute sermons each. Although they prepared separately without any guidance, it appeared they worked together as each of their messages built on each other. After the dynamic and persuasive devotions, the children started leading worship again. It did not seem possible after the initial worship time, but they kicked it up another notch with even a more powerfully passionate expression to God. Tim then wrapped up the service with a power punch message on the Holy Spirit. At least 25 came to the front wanting to be filled. It is exciting to see people so hungry for God…
After the service we were viewing a picture Ashley took of Tim. It was almost angelic with rays of light bursting from his heart. There is discussion of changing Life Community Church to the Supernatural Guiding Light Ministries with this picture as the backdrop. You have to admit it is catchy. After seeing the pic, you may see the potential for the new denomination…(actually, farther from the truth, but you will laugh when you see the pic as the overexposure makes Tim look very spiritual in a supernatural way)
We rested a bit prior to the soccer match with part of the group playing “Say Bah” (formerly called “Chase the Ace”) In this game the winner is the loser and has a predetermined consequence. Some of them were Kelly barking like a dog in the courtyard for a minute, Kelly high fiving the waitress and then doing the native Acholi call, Eric singing happy birthday to the first stranger he sees on the street and Laurie air-kissing Tim on the cheek and singing while on her Knees “did you ever know that you’re my hero”. In the last game, they decided on a grand finale. Kelly lost again and has to “bah” like a goat every time she hears a native say “goat” for the rest of the trip. It’s amazing how many times we can get them to say it. We even arranged to have goat again for dinner. The staff repeatedly told us what kind of meat it was. Kelly has just about perfected the call of the goats.
It was time for the soccer match and we had THE strategy in place. We started with a “psyching out” and intimidating entry from the bus onto the field. Stretching simultaneously with a few exercises as well, we finished with lunges across the field (that turned out to be a mistake) the game was evenly matched, but we definitely played the hardest. There were multiple MVP’s on our team with some footage we hope was captured on film. Sam got the Good Sportsmanship/MVP award as he helped an opponent to his feet while still dribbling the ball.  Aaron surprised us all with his tank like features, intimidating everyone, but handling the ball like he has played his entire life (he only played one time in college on an inter mural team, you would never know it). Greg began driving the ball one time and had the field mesmerized with some fancy footwork getting past defenders with tricks and twirls, but then tripped on the ball and did a face plant. The fans went from disbelief to historical laughter. In private, Greg later admitted the fancy footwork was not his ability. “I recall the ball hitting my heel behind me. It was at the same time my foot had a back stride and it just happened to put the ball in from of me. I then saw a defender and closed my eyes in fear. When I lost my footing. I then turned to not fall which resulted in a full twist. When I opened my eyes, I saw the ball in front with no defender and wondered what just happened. I realized a big play may have occurred as I could hear the fans. At that moment, I gained  a lot of confidence and was ready to kick the ball on my own with all that I had. However, I tripped and fell flat on my face. Hey, by the way,  you will keep this between you and me right?” I gave the thumbs up and quickly walked away. BTW, The message tomorrow will be “pride cometh before the fall” with a great analogy we can all enjoy. There are so many more highlights , but we want to save some stories for when we get home. The game was a blast and we played hard, but the victory belongs to Africa this time with a score of 3-1. The record is now tied USA 4 Africa 4.
Immediately after the game, we showed the Jesus movie one more time. Although it was our smallest crowd, it was the biggest success.  Around 100 people showed up and close to 40 committed their heart to God. One of the stories came from a student named Maurrish. He saw the film on day one and was greatly moved by it, “I knew the bible , but never saw anything like this. It made it real to me and I went back and told others.” He brought back 2 friends, Michael and Godwill, to this last showing (they walked a couple of miles to get to it). He was so excited, he grabbed a few of us to tell the story. At the end of the movie, Godwill was one of the 40. He came back and Laurie, McKinley and Greg got the opportunity to pray for the 3 and celebrate Godwill’s decision. God continues to move mightily on this trip.

14 comments:

Rebecca said...

Sounds like a great day! Oh, it makes me miss Africa. I miss you so much more everyday Greg and McKinley. People were asking yesterday at church if I was missing you guys and I said I was definitely missing McKinley, but it was pretty typical for Greg to be away so that had not hit as much. Well, it has hit, hard, and I am so ready to see you.

The kids are doing well. AnnaRebecca is now the owner of two pairs of jeans - yay! She loves them. Nathan has a game today at Cape Fear - he says he is excited, but knows they will get killed. The boys, all three of them, are psyched about free running again. Christopher showed them some video of himself doing it and they are all in. Simon has been turning flips off the side of the house since Saturday.

I am so glad each of you have had the opportunity to go to Africa and share the love of Jesus with those beautiful people. I pray you will continue to be blessed beyond imagination as you continue to bless those God puts in your path. I hope you all have a wonderful day!

Rebecca said...

Sounds like the trip has been amazing! We are praying for y'all and are so encouraged to hear how the Lord is moving through you!

CC - the create project is going well, the women miss you! Carrie came on Friday and shared her testimony, she did awesome - I think for those who could understand her clearly it really had an impact. All the trim is here (the boxes from your house and from Monroe); English started this morning, seems to be going well so far. The Church at Charlotte group that came last Tuesday loved the bags and loved meeting the women! Hyut was so cute - she got up and introduced herself to all of them unprompted.

Gisele said she may have a quick order for Catalyst conference this week but promised she would tell me everything I need to know to tell the women what to make (and she said it's a bag they've made before). Yay for another potential order!

I miss you friend, hope you have a great last few days at Murchison and in Kampala!

Ashley Lindbert said...

Wow what an exciting day. It makes us feel so
much a part of what God is doing there by hearing your stories. How amazing God is and you all who are doing His work!!
Now Kelly that is just funny...have to hear that goat sound. Ha
McKinley your mom is so proud and just beamed yesterday about you....of course you too Greg :-)

Ash last night while praying with the boys they were praying for you all, the team, Lalo, Uncle Aaron, of course you. Had to share a couple funny moments whe we were talking to God. As Jacob prayed he began very reverent and asked for protection and changed lives in Africa, then he just blurted out, " and God be with mom and Ba(Faith) because whe daddy and Uncle Aaron are changing lives, they got stuck with us!". I actually laughed out loud
Levi prayed sweet prayers for all especially Lalo. He has been the hugger and making sure everyone is doing good
Gavin said, "God be with daddy because he loves Africa and that is really all that matters is to do what you love!". I heard your voice in that comment :-)
Asher broke out with a catchy version of Jesus loves me and quickly stopped and said, "you know what mom, Jesus sure does loves daddy!". I quickly said yes he does as all of you. Asher then stroked my face and said, "mom God told me you could feel daddy's touch in my fingers.". I almost lost it, held it together but so sweet!

Tell mom I drove into driveway the other day, saw her car, and yelled, "yeah Lalo is here!". I think I am losing it now ha

we love you so much babe and praying for all that is yet to come and the joys you are yet to experience. Also can't wait to see you and boys, well they are beside themselves!

Give our love to all!

Faith said...

Sounds like you guys had a fabulous time with the soccer game!! I'm praying that the Holy Spirit is mightily present and that He works in you and those you are ministering to there. Aaron, Aidan is at school and last night said that he is lovin' it. Eli was sitting here cutting some wooden bread and mentions you about daily. We are glad you are doing well and hope you enjoy the rest of your trip. Today we plan to make a calender that counts down until your arrival. Think it will be fun for A. You did a great job preparing him because although he misses you a ton, he talks himself through it. So cute! We love you and look forward to seeing you this week. I tell Aidan, you'll be here before we know it:) Be safe and enjoy!!!! I love you Aaron:) When you get home and rested I look forward to going on a date:)

Love,
Me

Rae said...

Oh my! I am sooooo glad I've never been saddled with Kelly's plight. Yipes!

I LOVE the name Godwill! Can you imagine being reminded of that truth every time someone talks to you, every time you sign a check or contract or a letter?

Aa--I assume you are the tank-like athlete in question and the capstone of the devotional series. Yay! So proud of you and so glad to hear some personal moments about you. We all miss you a lot and are looking forward to having you back.

I think I made a mistake in buying Jude's fall wardrobe. It seems I might should have just skipped over the 18 mo and gone straight for the 24s. He's filling up the 18s pretty well already and the fall has just begun! He's going to cost us another arm and leg! I caught him pulled up on his knees on his dino ball factory. He was chewing those toys on top. Last night he was struggling to get up to the bigs on the couch, but he isn't strong enough yet to pull himself up. Soon, soon. Guess who likes ground beef from burritos and popcorn? Yep. And, he's doing pretty well with his regular "solids" too. :)

I tightened ALL of Si's locs this morning and it only took a few hours--not days like last time. Her hair is getting so long! She let me put the front up in piggies and she looks so cute! Like the little girl she is.

Sam and Grandma ran out to Barnes and Noble to get Gma a book-on-tape for her return trip to Chicago. She just called to ask if it was okay for her to take him to lunch and said that he told her at first he didn't want to go because Si would feel left out. Warms the heart, huh?

Mom and I are doing well. Although, she DID say she'd do all the dishes. But she left them long enough that I finally took care of them. Oh well, I figured I'd be doing them anyway and got out of it for a few days! :)

I made that flourless cake for Harriet. Apparently, it turned out well. Whew! It's such a treat to me to be able to bless people with a little indulgence here and there.

Oh! Yesterday at church the Rebecca Anderson (I know you have no clue) was behind Mom and me and at the 2 min we said hello and she told me she has been admiring our beautiful family for weeks. She said she has been wanting to talk to me about them all and asked for my phone number. I'm thinking we should have her and her (new) husband over for dinner sometime after you get back.

Love you, love you, love you, Tank. :)
xoxoxox,
Rae for all of us

Rae said...

Oops. Forgot one thing: Guess who prefers Dry-Roasted Peanuts over Honey-Roasted? Hint: It's not the picky eater. Strange, huh?

Faith said...

Good morning!!(It's 6:30am here). Hope the Safari is awesome. Enjoy!!! We love you Aaron:)

Rae said...

Tank--You got an email from Ronald! It said:
Dear MR Aaron Wilson

How are u? Hope that u are oky plus family.
I send greeting to in the name of Jesus Christ.
To me,am not oky because i do not receive your reply when i meet the cafe.
My Friend tell me if there is problem.

My mother has sent greetings to u.
i will be great full if i receive award of hello from u.
And tomorrow i will check on net


Good wishes u.

Pamela Flow said...

It is so awesome to read your picture painting accounts with so much life love and humor about your days in Uganda. I have been putting posts on Christopher's Facebook event page " Lagautu Bound! Mission Trip " based on your blog so all of us who are praying for him ,the whole mission team and those in the villages can hear of the everyday and extraordinary miracles happening. Thank you so much for writing
I am so grateful for the updates . Joyfully anticipate hearing stories from my boy as well:)God is good. Godwill -special name and could be an approriate greeting . Safe and glorious travels. Pamela Flow

Aimee said...

CC:

Been thinking about you alot and hoping that you are having a great time. I have to admit that I am wishing that I was with you this go-round. I needed an African church service to carry me this week but really to be refreshed!

I'm slow on the uptake, so, I just heard about your luggage. That's the pits...no, seriously...the PITS! Ash said you just keep getting more and more African each time you go. I like the way you embrace life and new things (and new people). It's a great quality of yours.

Miss you and hope you are feeling full and loved from afar.

Best,
Aimee

Ashley Lindbert said...

Being that the boys are on break we decided to stay home, lay low, and rest...yeah right who am I kidding???  The testosterone was literally bouncing off the walls it was so thick, oh wait that was a football, soccer ball, and a good ole bouncey ball. The house was turned into a football field, we had a half toenail removal on one play, a busted lip on another and well let's just say a noise level that could give a real stadium a run for it's money.   We were going outside but the house being built next to us has all kinds of junk flying around, cutting bricks, etc.  We thought we would wait until they went home for the day to go out. I was determined not to leave the house, not to step one foot in the car.  It happens so seldom and I really needed the day.   
So as the testosterone built and built I went to my trusty craft cabinet and pulled out lots and lots of modeling clay. There were all kinds of clay creations being constructed.  We sat together and made so many different animals that you will see there, made a game course, pumpkins, a snake that turned into a tree and later into a necklace and a bracelet. Once Asher was wearing his clay necklace and bracelet he said, "hey guys I look like a girl." We all laughed and I thought mission accomplished and testosterone squashed, at least for a short time to regroup. It was such fun and we are enjoying their time on break. 
I do have an outing planned for all of us when you get back. You may have to take another day off but while they are not in school there is a place I would love to take them. Lisa got us some coupons. I heard it is such fun. :-)

Gavin wears the ear phones you gave him everyday and I just laugh. 
The ladder broke off the bunk beds-may have happened right before you left but was almost used as a weapon or a sledding device down the stairs today. There are two really awesome handprints on the wall from our painting day. At some point that will need a repaint but man life is good and fun and totally laughable here, as usual. There are other stories that may be a bit much to share now but will certainly crack you up. We will fill you in on those when you are back.  

Oh Andrea came over today and I was able to share the salvations from the Jesus film and lives changed along with all that was shared about medical and prison ministries.  She had chills and was so excited. She said she prays for you guys every night. So neat!!!
 
(this was our monday)

we love you!! Give mom big hugs from us all.

David C Blevins said...

I really enjoy reading the action taking place. I recall my experiences and do wish I was there. The salvations are incredible and most important. Tim, angelic ?, well there are stories to tell that might make that sound impossible. Ashley, you must have streamlined the brick making to beat our record. Good job. Blessing to all particularly the Blevins boys. Dad

Ashley Lindbert said...

Awwwww...babe YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!
I just got more flowers delivered. You really are the best!
They came at the perfect time. We just got home from Jacobs eye appt. His vision was terrible and I felt even worse. We dropped...well let's say more than a dime. Wow. It is a story so will fill you in later but he needs a follow up visit. Anyway will tell you later. He will have some cool glasses and T said he could be trained on contacts. She said he is old enough so we can talk.
Back to you though. Hope you are having a great day and saw amazing animals again. We love you so much and really thank you so much for the flowers. It feels like that movie Bed of Roses but more like Wildflowers on a Counter that is just not as catchy. ;). We love you!!!

Lauren Petters said...

CC,
Sending some love your way. I miss you here in Charlotte. I can't wait to see your face (and hopefully your luggage!!). Is it there yet?! I'm so sorry that happened to you.

I look forward to hearing about your trip and all that God showed you.

Not much happening in Charlotte. The Race for the Cure was fun...about 50 of us in "Team Patwa" T-shirts walking around. It took almost 2 hours for us to walk 3 mi due to the crowd and the stroll pace. It was really fun. I know Amy felt celebrated.

Just seeing clients, hanging out, and waiting for you to get back home.

Love you!
LP