Monday, January 21, 2013

And to love mercy and to walk humbly


What can 7 SOI volunteers and 30 local Ugandans from the village Gulu do with some rope and steel beams?

I was awe struck as I watched in wonder while a 3 ton steel water tower was lifted, rotated, and raised into the air only to land perfectly amongst 4 holes in the ground formed for the legs of the tower.  How is this possible with only 2 utensils and a few shovels? With the formation of our own Ugandan set of OSHA rules, Patrick’s experience with hoisting telephone poles, YTs fish knots, and some barefoot Ugandans, the tower was raised in a genus book of world record time – only 2 hours.

While towers and fish knots were being put together the other 9 SOI volunteers that joined us on the Gulu farm were whistling while they worked and weeded a plot of land equivalent to two football fields!

Transferrable skills from the states were also utilized while LP helped to council 20 local teen moms with, Ester, a woman from a neighboring village, whom is best described as a modern day Lazarus. Lives were changed, towers were raised, and people came together… all before lunch.

After some fish tacos and mouth watering pineapple back at the hotel we were on the road again heading to LaGutu village.
There we were greeted with a tour of the ministry center and local school that had recently been built with the help of SOI. The school has 256 children and 4 teachers with 85 kids to a classroom. One classroom is the size of 2 small tee boxes or a quarter of a tennis court.
The tour continued down a path to a home where we engaged with 6 children whose father had passed away and their mother left them behind to marry again. The home was owned by the “Moza” of the family, or grandfather. The 3 huts were homes made of dried grass for a roof and measuring only ten feet in diameter. As I peered into one of the huts I found myself in awe once again and trying to comprehend how 6 children and 2 grandparents could sleep in such small quarters yet be so thankful for what God has given them?
The tour continued down a small dirt path with blades of grass as high as cornfields. This narrow trail directed us to one small and simple, yet eloquent hut where we met by one strong, courageous, yet humble 26 year-old man named Dennis.
As he ran up to greet us in soccer cleats, no shirt (and yes, quite easy on the eyes according to the females in our group) and basketball shorts I imagined this young man fitting right in with local 20 something’s back in the states. While he may have looked as though he fit in America the story he proceeded to tell us made me realize just how unfitting his life in Northern Uganda has been.
Dennis shared with us his experiences of living in his village during the war that took place not far from where we were only 5 years ago. Dennis explained to us how his father had been beaten to death with 2x4s by the LRA and how he and his family had been forced to watch. He explained to us that months later these same men kidnapped him. Once taken to the camps by these men he was shot 3 different times and taught to kill others. As Dennis’s story unraveled he began to tell us how God used him during times of trials and tribulations and how grateful he is to know the grace of God and his Son, Jesus Christ.
As I sat and listened to a man younger than myself speak of God’s magnificence during unfathomable pain and loss I realized how small and minute my problems are back home… and I wondered how God could do this to a man of such faith?
Later that afternoon we traveled to the village of Puqwini for a pick up soccer game. As the game began more and more Ugandans began to gather around the field. With a village of only 400 people over 100 showed up for the game. To say soccer is important in this country is like saying Ohio State is a better football team that Auburn… and we all know how farfetched that is! Needless to say, soccer is the sport of Africa!
Our game score today improved against the locals tying 2-2. Kudos goes to Pastor John for his score on a penalty kick and MVP was given to Joanie for incorporating karate kicks into the game – they both have quite the moves! Once the game finished up each SOI volunteer spoke to the village about why they came to Africa and what they hoped for their small village of Pugwini. With over 60% of the population being kids prayers were raised to uplift the children and keep them safe, blessed, and knowing God’s love.
As we finished up our discussions and taught all the children of Pigwini the infamous game of Signs the sun began to set (what a site that was to see in Africa) and we slowly made our way back to the vans.
As the day came to a close I noticed Dennis collecting his things on the soccer field. I walked over to him and asked him one simple question, “Why do you still have faith in God when all these horrendous things have happened to you and to others you know? ” With a look of almost sheer confusion Dennis stared right back at me and said… “No, no – how do you not see? God has been merciful to me.  I was shot 3 times and not once did it hit my bone. I have much to be grateful for and much to praise God about.”
Wow. How convicted I feel to be surrounded by these Ugandans that are able to give so much, yet have so little. How thankful I am to share such an amazing God with them. How humbled I am by Dennis and what he has taught me… what he has taught us all.
-Kelly Bennett

New Albany

Once again the New Albany team served alongside Gulu Community Church today.  We traveled to Agung village (a remote area where the Gulu team had planted a church) to conduct another medical clinic.  On the way to the clinic, we visited the district “hospital” (a small thatched-roof structure with no equipment) and learned that a doctor works there once a week and prescribes medicines that neither the hospital nor the patients can afford.  When we understood this, it made sense that people had walked for upwards of three miles to be treated by American doctors with free antibiotics and ibuprofen.  As I looked out on the endless line of people baking under the mean equator sun my eyes filled with tears.  So many impoverished children and families, so little access to the medical care (and water, and electricity, and on and on).   The only difference between us and them: the geography of birth.  Yet there was also much reason to rejoice.  God is moving in Agung and villages like it because of GCC and their sacrificial work on behalf of the poorest of the poor.  People are coming to know Christ and lives are improving.  At the end of a very hard day, we had helped many families and demonstrated the tangible love of God on behalf of a church that will have a tremendous impact on the community.

The evening finished with a fabulous dinner at Pastor George and Irene’s home along with the leadership of GCC.  Hospitality in Uganda is beyond description – they were unbelievably generous with their food, their words and their gifts (we received some warrior figures and a zoo’s worth of animal wood carvings as a token of their appreciation).  We also were able to provide two laptops, a projector (for showing the Jesus Film in the villages) and an iPad for Pastor George.  The love and partnership expressed in the room tonight will not soon be forgotten, and I am amazed at the grace of God that allows a small church in New Albany Ohio to play a part in the powerful Kingdom work of a church serving the outcasts of the world 8,000 miles away.  What an awesome privilege.  What an amazing God.

Pastor David

11 comments:

Unknown said...

To the Team - Praise God! Thank you for taking time out of your lives to be able to share Gods Word, Love, & Hope to these wonderful people. I know that each and everyone of you will take away from this experience more than you have given. It is wonderful to read the blog and see how the love of God.

To CC - Baby you a song. You make me wanna roll my window down and cruise!!! I miss you!!

Praying for you guys and girls, keep up the good work. And go Buckeyes!!!

Mike

Aimee said...

Thank-you for painting the picture for us. I can’t help but feel so small with the tasks of American life overtaking everything. Perspective is a gift. And you all gave us that gift today. Thank-you.

Chris, Jim sure could use a statistics tutor about now. He got a little excited when David suggested a move to Ohio. But quickly came crashing down at the realization that you truly would rather live in Gulu than Ohio. The water tower construction sounded like one of your word problems. I'm sure you are appreciating the ingenuity of this combined team.

Mom, I realize just how much I talk to you in a day. Jim is tired of my phone calls :) Your absence has been a great lesson for me to bring my requests to God. It also helps to recognize what is worthy of my energy and so much of what I bore you with in a day is not that. So yes, I too am learning from your trip.

Thank-you All,
Aimee

I love you Uncle Chris and I love you Grandma! I hope you have a wonderful day.
Love,
Kate

I love you Uncle Chris and Grandma. I hope you read this when you wake up.
Love,
Lauren

Ralston Family said...

Hey Babe, we were going to write the usual Ralston Family update today, but to be quite honest, our life's events seem so trivial compared to all of the things the team is experiencing 8,000 miles away. The stories of the experiences you are all having and the differences that you are making in peoples lives-both physically and spiritually are absolutely amazing. We are in awe. God is so, so good!
Still praying constantly for everyone and counting the days until you are home!
All our love, Teri, Hannah, Catherine, Andrew,Sarah Grace & Tess, too! xoxoxoxoxo

The Herman Family said...

Diane and Team,

Wow, what an amazing experience. It is unbelievable who much good you are providing these families and these towns. We ALL Thank YOU!!

The stories and the blogs are great. The kids and I were reading the long van ride stories and were wondering which person in our family would say, "I could really go for a cup of coffee, please stop at the next Starbucks, or I'm hungry, where is the next Wendy's, or Are we there yet?"

Kids are good. We all enjoyed the day off to celebrate MLK and Obama's inauguration

Everyone says hi and miss you. XOXO Steve

Catherine said...

It's so great to hear the stories of how God is using this team to grow closer to Him serving our brothers and sisters in Uganda. Thank you for your service to our friends across the ocean!

All the best as your journey continues.

Catherine Adams
SOI Trip Coordinator

Boespflugs said...

Congratulations on taking this amazing journey. I wish everyone was able to take the opportunity or leap of faith that you all have done. Thankfully, you're lives will never be the same. Take note of all these present moments and carry them with you for years to come. I know you will reflect upon them for many years to come. And to help you get through the last few days away from home, just keep thinking of the warm welcome of loved ones upon your return. Stay safe. Do good. Love you all, Amanda Boespflug

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am amazed and in awe of all God is doing through this team. What an honor and a blessing to be a vessel through which the true water of life can flow. Don't be surprised if when you get home and your friends and family ask, "How was your trip?"..you simply say..."no words".

Anonymous said...

I am humbled to read all you guys are experiencing and that God is showing you through your time in Africa. You are being used to extended the heart of God and God is extended his heart to you as you encounter fellow brothers and sisters in Christ who are perservering in the faith understand such painful, hard circumstances. I pray God continues to protect you and fill you with joy for the remainder of your trip!
Lauren, I look forward to catching up when you get home!

~Sonya

Abby said...

Wow! This was one of my favorite days of the trip last year. My stomach still hurts from that soccer game. And I am still trying to figure out how the Ugandans mistook my stomach for the goal. I vividly remember hearing Dennis' testimony as we were walking through the village and thinking how big our God really is. How he can bring someone from such torment, pain and darkness into His glorious light. And yes, Dennis is in fact easy on the eyes. Glad all of us girls can agree on that!

To the team who I don't know but feel as though I would love very much...I pray that God would reveal his love to you in new ways through these beautiful people of Uganda. Thank you for reminding me that loving God and loving people is what we are called to do.

To CC and YT...I miss you guys and wish more than anything I was eating fresh pinapple, sipping on an orange Fanta and pounding out some clay bricks with you all. I hope you have taught the team "Ninja" and have played plenty of games of signs. Did someone inherit the snake in the grass? And YT did you have to make up a song to help someone remember their number? Cause we all know that Matt is 11. Love you guys! Going before you all in prayer.

O - H ......

Abby

Rebecca said...

Wow - sounds like such an amazing day!! Kelly thanks for sharing, it is definitely a needed reminder and humbling to consider how great our God is. LP, I am glad you got to use your counseling gifts with the women there, I know you were a blessing! Praying for y'all and hope the safari is awesome!

Anonymous said...

Thank you all for the great, lively updates!! Been reading them all, but just figured out how to comment...technology is def not my forte. :)

LP--miss you SO much and can't wait to resume our daily communications. And, so fun you got to use your amazing counseling skills there!!! Can I pick you up from the airport?!?

Kelly--WAR EAGLE! Ohio State's got nothin' on us!

Miranda--did you really not check any bags on your flight, only taking a carry on? You are my hero.

CC--thanks for leading these crazy Charlotte girls!

If this actually posts when I press the "publish" button, it'll be a slight miracle.

Sending love from NC,
Melissa