Thursday, February 2, 2012

Porridge, Frogs, and Free Range Chicken

The last few days have been fun. The first daycare ever started in Lajwatek on Tuesday so I have been out there for a few days to help Millie, the only teacher with 70+ children. Below is one of the little girls after their breakfast of Porridge. I like to call this a Porridge Mustache!
Since it is the first time the kids have gone to "school" they are a little clueless with some things. All the songs are new, how to sit in one place is new, how to keep your hands to yourself, etc.
One little boy yesterday had to go to the bathroom so Millie sent him and his sister out to go. She assumed that he would head for the latrine. Well, I walked out to check and he had dropped his pants right there bin front of the building and was beginning to squat. Just one of the many lessons of daycare in the "bush"... kids may not know to go to a latrine. It was hilarious. I lead both of them over to the latrine and showed them the propper place. Gotta love it!

Have you ever showered with frogs? Lastnight I went into the "bath house" around dusk. As I turned to lock the door I felt the side of my foot against something reptile like, I gasped, looked down and frog had come really close to losing his life under my foot! I opened the door for him to exit, he did, and I proceeded with bathing. A little later I saw something out of the corner of my eye and there was another (or maybe the same) frog getting in on the bathing action!
Needless to say, I am getting my fill of startling situations with little critters! If I were a "screamer" the people here would probably get many more laughs from me!

Lastly, I have been staying at the Kyazze house. (It's quite nice.) They have puppies in a kennel and 4-5 chickens roaming free in the yard. Two days ago they told me that we would have chicken the next night. I quickly deduced that one of the free range chickens here in the yard would be our dinner. When I came in from the day yesterday Grace, the chef of this particular meal, was almost down plucking all the feathers. I was a little uncomfortable but then she told me the next step would be gutting it and the roasting. I quickly exited! About one hour later she served chicken and rice. Believe it not, I tried it (considering I am 95% vegetarian) and it was good! I still can't believe I saw the process literally from start to finish... LIFE ON A FARM! :)

No comments: