Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A little help from my friends...

The time here in Uganda has been one that has greatly encouraged me and given me the space I needed to be with the Lord. There have been so many sweet moments where the Lord has met me and challenged me.
He usually gives me a word for the year as the calendar rolls over in January. Last year's word was "gratitude" and BOY! did he challenge that one for me. I truly struggled to be grateful most of the year. As I have been here I have gotten to do a lot of reading. Mostly fun fiction books and the Bible but a few days ago I started the book, "Invitation to a Journey, a Road Map for Spiritual Formation." It's been a good source of encouragement, challenge and direction giving as I prepare to end my time here in Uganda. The reason I bring this book up is because there is a section that showed me how I could be grateful in the midst of the most difficult year I had last year. It is as follows:
"God often disrupts our psychological state. Thus the community of faith becomes vital in our growth toward wholeness in Christ for others. The often disturbing, upsetting intrusions of others enable them to become great agents of God's troubling grace in our pilgrimage. Our sisters and brothers in the faith also become God's agents of comfort, encouragement and support as we wrestle with the call to come out of the security of our incompleteness into the wholeness God has for us in Christ. It is in the community of faith that we find the support structures of the classical and personal spiritual disciplines, through which God conforms us to the wholeness of Christ for others."
My community, you reading this blog, have been of GREAT value to me this past year. The Lord used you to spur me on, to pray for me, to love me. Thank you for being the hands and feet of Jesus to ME!

Now, God has given me a new word for 2012. I keep hearing it over and over ... when I read scripture, when people are speaking, when I am praying... it is Peace, Shalom. I pray that this start to the year in Uganda will deeply root in me God's peace NO MATTER what the year holds, where He takes me, what comes my way. (supposedly God's peace passes all understanding ;) I will pray the same for you!

I can't believe I only have 3 more full days in Gulu. I am excited to share with you stories and pictures from the past month. Thanks for being on this journey with me. I am MOST grateful for you!!

4 comments:

the swineharts said...

I can't wait to see you and hear ALL that the Lord has shown you. Praying for you these last few days. Love you sweet friend

Abby Andrews said...

Praying for you over these next few days. Thank you for being the hands and feet of Jesus to me and so many others even in the midst of difficulty. Soak up all the beauty of Gulu and CAN'T wait to hear more stories! Tell Florence, Maureen, Olivia and everyone else I said hi. Love you CC!

Anonymous said...

Peace, that is a goodie. Praying for the end of your adventure and looking forward to getting a hug from you soon. Love you!
Rochelle

Anna said...

CC - you are an inspiration and a blessing to your family in Christ in Uganda, as well the US. Thank you for sharing your intimate thoughts about God. I am praying for you daily and I can't wait to give you a big hug!