Monday, January 30, 2012

Afican food, people, and sunrises

It's the start of a new week here at Koro farm. School is back in session today, Mango Tree Day Care is registering new kids and the staff is getting their plan together for 2012. Good things are happening!

 From my last post you know that there were many things going on around here the last few days: Chess tournament, End of fast celebration and the regular Sunday activities. Below are some random pictures from last week...
The banner from the celebration on Thursday

Elevation ladies demonstrating their Latrine positions :)

Jennifer, Dorah and I getting ready to serve the feast after the conference. We served over 200 people.

The Kyazze family (Aloysius' wife and kids) at 5:30am getting ready to journey south for boarding school with their Elevation shirts on. They were so proud!

I feel like I am starting to settle into what living on the farm is. It's nice. There is a great, slow rhythm to everything that I think I needed more than I knew.

Friday I went into Gulutown with Maureen and Olivia (two of the main cooridnators at the farm) to buy school supplies for the Day Care starting in Lajwatek village. It was fun to shop with them. The system here is very different from the States, that is for sure! The girls' boldness in bartering is impressive. We went to the local market and I finally had my first "rolex" (in honor of Kacie). At first I thought they were talking about buying a watch but I soon learned that a rolex here is fried egg rolled in Chapati (fried flatbread)... it's like a breakfast burrito. It was delicious along with a COLD orange Mirinda (fanta).

Yesterday I accompanied Olivia to the village where she is the staff support/minister, Lajwatek. I was asked to lead the "sunday school" time. At first I am always hesitant to lead those times because I am unsure of my teaching skills but I felt the Lord lead me in a direction of what to teach and my fears eased. I taught about blind Bartameaus throwing his coat aside to seek Jesus, to seek healing and how that is like the Hebrews verses of throwing off everything that hinders to run the race God has for us. It ended up being a fun time for me. I am thankful that the Lord met me in that assignment and know he will continue to do so.
The afternoon felt like a true sabbath. I sat and talked with the staff, shared food, and went to bed early. I could get used to this! :)

This morning I decided I needed to get my act together and go for a run. So, as the sun rose over the horizon I took a jog down the dirt roads around the farm and back. It was so wonderful to listen to worship songs and gaze upon God's creation here in Uganda. I felt blessed.

I know that God is doing a work in me here. I can't put my finger on what it is exactly yet but I know it is happening. Thank you for walking with me! Thank you for praying. Thank you for missing me and letting me know I am not alone here.   

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh girl, sounds like God is blessing you beyond measure. Keep soaking it all in and following his lead! We miss you, but know God has you in this place for a reason. Praying for you and rejoicing with you!

Love Rochelle

Lauren Petters said...

Hey CC!
I didn't know you were continuing to write on the blog. Thank you for letting us know. I love the thought of you resting. You have needed that so much...for what a year now?! :) I'm grateful for this time for you. And I'm grateful you are returning to us soon. :) I love the picture of you running (way to run, btw!) in africa. Sounds like God is husband-ing you. And to remind you...you are not alone. We are cheering for you and you are missed! I feel the space you leave here. Love you,
LP

Rebecca said...

The real question is how much chipati and peanut sauce have you had!? :) I miss you friend and so do all the women at Create!

HBlung and Hyut made grocery bags based off the bag you made today for some samples to show people. They are really awesome! You should be proud of how much you have grown their confidence.

Excited for you to be home in 11 days!!