Monday, January 20, 2014

Day Two: Team Bonding; the long bumpy road to Gulu

Day two started with a seven hour drive to Gulu. This was quite the bonding time and uncovered the following interesting facts about our team:


          *As we were walking across the Nile River our team learned that we are far more scared of Baboons than they are of us
          *The married people like to put the single ladies in the hot seat. But the roles were never reversed. Likely because they have nothing exciting to share anyway.
     *YT (aka THE Dustin Swinehart) explained the SCEMM meter in FULL detail. All you single ladies, if you're not sure what constitutes a real date, give him a call... PowerPoint included.
     *Everyone was surprised that the preppy financial client relations gal, Devon, prefers the type of man that can be found on any episode of Duck Dynasty. You wear camo? Call Devon.
     *Troy is married to a Romanian Gypsy world traveling hip hop violinist
     *Ashley realized in hindsight that she is attracted to men with big noses
*During our celebrity lookalike game we found out that YT knowingly deceived a poor young boy by signing an autograph posing as the mean guy from The Karate Kid.





We arrived at Koro Farm safe and sound and were warmly welcomed by the staff. Koro Farm is a beautiful serene place filled with the presence of God. You can see it on their faces and the work that is being completed there serves a very specific purpose of restoring hope and raising up future disciples. All in the name of Jesus.




During our tour of the farm Brett egged on Ashley to pick up a pig. Correct, Ashley scooped up a piglet who not so surprisingly squealed like a pig and alerted mama pig of the apparent pig-napping. Mama pig became hostile, Ashley dropped the piglet, ran away, and the tour continued.





The evening ended with an intense soccer match of Team Mazungu (white people) verse fresh young 12-13 year old Ugandans. According to statistics Team Mazungu was not favored to win. But when underestimated we only fight harder. We won 3-2! And no, YT did not score. With a killer left foot goal by John; an intense one on one goal from Brett; and an after match penalty shot by Julie we showed them how Americans do it. Granted it was not pretty and the kids are still contesting the score back and forth with Julie... we still consider it a 'W'. We have been challenged to a rematch. Results to follow.

2 comments:

Christopher Klotz said...

Team~
What a beautiful gathering of gulu warriors you are!! I'm so jealous... I wish I was there to experience life to the fullest, fanta orange, and of course to see CC snap!!
Praying for you guys, and can't wait to hear about the Glory of The Lord in Uganda! Please send greetings to Aloysious "yes it was fantastic".... Mama flo, Robert, Lily, Irene, Milly and the gang!
Ps. To all the single ladies, and Brett..... Call me when u return to the US..... I'm looking for "Bags" if you know what I mean!!!!
Klotzy

Lauren Petters said...

Hi Team!!

I love hearing the updates of your trip, especially what happens "behind the scenes" on the bus rides!

I'm glad the SCEMM meter made it back to Uganda! Shocking! :)

CC: we missed you at my bachelorette night. I have some stories to tell. :) I had the joy of completing lots of "challenges" which included convincing men to wear my leather cat ears (an appropriate upgrade to a crown) with their cowboy hat, stocking hat or baseball hat. There were a lot more challenges that somehow I was "brave" enough to complete. :)

And, CC, you're a song and you make me want to roll my window down and cruise. :)

Dustin and Betty--I'm glad you got to spend an anniversary together...I know that's rare. I hope it was a good one!

Single ladies, make sure you have Aloysius pray for you. Trust me! Just ask CC. :)

I'm so jealous someone was brave enough to pick up a piglet. You are more than a woman than I. However, your next challenge is to pat a stray dog. :)

Mike, I hope your legs are not bothering you and you are able to see how much the Ugandans love CC!

Please give all stray cats, dogs and chickens a pat for me!

Love,
LP